Monday, April 7

The Cure For Everything



Only if life's problems all had this same answer as they do now. He's hungry -- Feed him. He's not feeling well -- Nurse him. He bumped his head -- Nurse. Right now, whatever is wrong (except a poopy diaper) then nursing is the simple solution... What he really wants the most is love, attention and to be comforted when things aren't going well and he's unhappy. Breastfeeding goes beyond the needs of nourishment. It is comforting to be held secure and snug in your mommy's arms where it's warm and cozy. Look up into her loving eyes as she smiles reassuringly to you to let you know that as long as she's there, everything will be alright.

Too bad our sweet little babies grow up and as they do they have bigger problems with harder answers. We should be grateful now, while they're still small enough for us to pick them up and kiss their foreheads to make it all better, that it's this easy to be the hero.

So whenever you're wishing your little one could fall to sleep on his own (and stay asleep) or that he'd give you more freedom from constant nursings, keep in mind that some day you'll wish that things were so simple. Some day you won't have the answer to every problem life throws at you and you'll miss these days. Cherish them.

My son rarely falls to sleep on his own. And hasn't slept through the night since before he got four teeth at once around 7 months. Well, that was 10 months ago! Ten months since I've slept though the night! The problem isn't that he needs to nurse to sleep, I don't mind that so much. It's that he wakes up three hours later and I haven't the heart (or rather, lack of) to allow him to cry himself to sleep.

I tried the cry it out method once, and he still woke up 3 hours later any way and still crying. Quicker and easier to nurse him. Besides, in order to listen to him crying and not come to his side, I had to attempt to emotionally detach myself from the situation. When I realized that, I felt horrible that I could ever do that to my child. Not care. He wanted my comfort and love, why on Earth would I withhold my love from my son whom I love so much? I'm willing to sacrifice my sleep and comfort my child to sleep. For another year if I have to, or however long it takes.

Yea, I can teach him to comfort himself, by not giving him my comforting, and what, teach him that when it comes down to it, the only person you can count on is yourself? I think that's a very pessimistic outlook in life, and I want him to learn that it is better to love and trust and be betrayed and hurt than to never open yourself up at all. For the chance that you'll find the same love returned back to you, it's all worth it.

Am I over intellectualizing the consequences of comforting method vs. cry-it-out? Yes, but so do all those cry-it-out fanatics who swear by it up and down and try to shove it down your throats. Enough already. I'm going to love and raise my son my way and I won't tell you how to raise your kids. There's no way to prove which is the right way. This is the way that works for me and we're all happy and that is all that matters to me.

It is tiring to have so many interrupted nights of sleep. We just moved him from our bed to a toddler bed. He seems to be adjusting well, but he still wakes, and now it's harder for me to comfort him back to sleep. Either I contort myself to nurse him in his bed, or I pick him up and nurse him in the recliner. Unfortunately, if I opt for the latter, I'm often too tired and fall asleep, and wake up with a sweaty baby in my arms. And putting him back in the toddler bed might just wake him up. It was easier in the bed, just had to whip it out and then he'd fall right back to sleep, and so could I. We'll all adjust....

No comments: