Thursday, September 4

Babycenter Community Answers

I'm not the only mom stressed about extended breastfeeding and when to wean... Please check the community answers at BabyCenter.com to hear what other moms are saying. And here was my comment on the community board.

My boyfriend has set a deadline for us to quit breastfeeding. 2 years. Only I'm not sure our son is ready. He's 21 months and showing no signs of letting up. Sometimes he'll skip nursing in the mornings and will eat plenty of snacks. He refuses cow milk, so switching him isn't working. I'm confident extended nursing is the best for him. Especially since he's only been sick once and has no known allergies. He has a good appetite, but likes to finish each meal/snack off with "feed me". The doctor gave me a odd look at 18 month visit and I was still nursing. He said nothing for or against it. I want him to be ready to wean, I don't want to force it on him. But I am ready. I enjoy this time together, but I want my body back.... -- GillianIvy


I'm seeking some feedback on this. I'm ready to quit breastfeeding, Chase isn't and Kevin is urging that we stick to the birthday deadline. Chase nurses to sleep and this presents a big problem. Throughout the night I rock him to sleep. But most nights end up sleeping in the rocking chair with him in my arms. And he rarely goes to sleep on his own no matter how tired he is. I know it's a comfort thing, but can't find any sort of lovey to replace nursing. His only other lovey is mommy's hair... He tickles his belly and ear and palm of his hands with it until he falls asleep... Weaning tips are most welcome!

2 comments:

just_me said...

Julius weaned himself at 24 months. I think offering him substitutes in place of nursing is a good try, but stopping cold-turkey could cause an issue. With bedtime nursing, I would try to take your nipple out as soon as he falls asleep, and then the next time pull out once he gets drowsy.. etc. etc... it's a slow process, but one that's easier for a toddler to accept.

For the after-meal treat: Maybe instead of nursing, give him a special treat that he always asks for (like a bit of ice cream or something) to distract him away from nursing.

Regardless, you know Chase best, and if you feel he isn't ready, then he isn't ready, and I'm pretty sure Chase will give you signs to let you know when he is ready.

My doctor started commented that I should wean Julius as soon as he had turned 12 months. He said "He isn't benefiting from you. You're the only one getting anything out of it." And as much as I wanted to call him an arrogant asshole, I simply directed him to speak to Julius' allergist, who was supportive about me continuing to nurse him. In fact, it was Julius' allergist who said that I should keep nursing until Julius was ready not to anymore.

It's hard when you don't have people supporting your decision. But I really feel that a child knows when they are ready and show signs to their mom. As long as the mother can read the cues, then everything works out in the end... and it seems to me that you're pretty responsive to reading your son's cues.

GillianIvy said...

Thanks, Julieta. You're always a big help to me. Kevin and I don't discuss the "deadline" issue often. Though I think I did e-mail him that article... Did he read it? Who knows.