Wednesday, June 25

pumps



To pump or not to pump. When I went back to work after the birth of Julius, many people figured I would just stop nursing. Instead, I pumped. I used Medela's electric pump when I was driving (red lights were rather interesting...lol) and Medela's Harmony manual pump when I had a few free minutes of time.
I nursed and pumped until Julius was two years old, and though some days the nanny had to mix formula in with the breastmilk because I hadn't been able to pump enough, I felt content that I was providing my son with the best nutrition available.

Now, with the upcoming birth of my second child, one thing that I don't need to stress about is whether or not to pump. Yes it was time-consuming, but well worth it.


2 comments:

GillianIvy said...

I had to pump when I was in the hospital. I had a used pump and the motor was dying. How did you manage to do it while driving? It can be so messy when you double pump. Did you have that pump strap-on bra? Maybe I had such trouble with it due to my size... I'd have to keep a towel handy.

just_me said...

It was very interesting while driving! I would just fit it in under the lining of my nursing bra and I'd bulk my shirt up to keep it in place... sometimes it would shift and then milk would pour out of the sides (I always kept an extra shirt in my car!) but generally I was able to pump two bottles worth of milk and if I were lucky, three, before I got home in the afternoon (usually by 3:00 pm).